Saturday, June 25, 2011

Tips For Creating a Spa-like Environment at Home

You can't always travel to your favorite spa o that takes lots of time and lots of money. It's easy to create a spa environment at home and it doesn't have to be expensive. If you have lots of time, follow all these tips. If you have minimal time, choose the tips that appeal most to you.


In the bathroom:


o Towels - Some towel manufacturers have a "spa" towel line, such as Chris Madden at JC Penney. The Chris Madden Spa Towels are a thick waffle weave and at one time they had a matching spa robe. Think thick, soft and super luxurious to remind you of the towels at a fine spa. You might roll or stack a group of towels decoratively in a basket or on a shelf.


o Candles - Aromatherapy candles can have a variety of benefits. Lavender for restful sleep. Citrus for invigorating. Eucalyptus for clearing sinuses. There are also a variety of blended candles scents. Choose a scent you enjoy or choose a blend that has the benefits you are looking for. Place them around the room and light them (safely, of course) when you want to turn your bathroom into a spa-like sanctuary.


o Music - I keep a portable CD player in the closet in my bathroom. When I want the full atohome spa experience, I play a relaxing CD. I have 2 that I like just for this purpose. Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy - Hydrotherapy Soothing Music for a Healing Bath. Gentle ocean sounds combine with soft instrumentals for a "just chill out" feeling. I especially like track #3. I also like Aromatherapy Music for Relaxation by Musical reflections. There are 6 tracks on this disk and each one is named after different aromatherapy oils.


o Hydrotherapy - The healing power of water. Take a bath. Plan to soak for 20 to 30 minutes uninterrupted. Longer soaks can dry out your skin. Shorter soaks aren't relaxing. Add 5 to 10 drops of your favorite essential oil or your favorite bath salts. Play relaxing music, light candles, have plush towels and comfortable pajamas or a robe waiting. If you have a jetted whirlpool tub, even better. If you don't, you can still enjoy a hot soak.


o Shower - If you don't have time for a bath, a shower can have similar benefits. When we remodeled our bathroom, my husband installed a combination heater/fan. When I'm ready to turn my bathroom into a spa, I warm the room up for a few minutes to take the chill off, especially in cold weather. I sprinkle a few drops of essential oils into the shower and the steam activates them to scent the entire room. In the evening, I might use lavender oil. In the morning, something more energizing. If I'm congested, I use eucalyptus oil. I'm immediately transported back to a spa experience when a eucalyptus steam rooms comes to mind. Caution - the oil can make the surface of the shower slippery. I try to sprinkle the oil on surfaces where my feet won't need traction.


o "Spa treatments" -


- Exfoliation - A loofah or dry brush is a great tool to add to your home spa. Use the dry brush before your shower or bath. Use the loofah in the shower or bath. If you don't have either of these, a washcloth can exfoliate skin in a pinch.
- Scrub - Buy a great smelling scrub, or you can even make your own with basic ingredients found in your grocery store, like seat salt or sugar, olive oil or nut oil, fruits and other ingredients.
- Facial - Use high quality, natural products to give yourself a mini-facial. Cleanse and tone, then apply a mask. When the mask is rinsed off, moisturize.
- Hair - Now is a great time to try a deep conditioner while you are soaking in the bath or taking a spaolike shower. Apply conditioner or hair mask, put your hair in a shower cap and let the conditioner work. Rinse according to the directions.


o Beverage - A glass of wine or champagne is the standby for relaxation in the tub, but there are other choices for the at-home spa too. A cup of herbal or green tea is wonderful. I love Teavana teas. You can also try fruit or herb infused water. Add cucumbers, mint, citrus fruit, berries, even watermelon to a pitcher of water. Or try a blend of your favorites. Chill the water for several hours, the longer the better for more flavor infusion. Sip this during your home spa experience or anytime to stay hydrated without added calories.


In the bedroom, you'll want to emulate your favorite features of a fine hotel room:


o Sheets - Choose high thread count Egyptian cotton sheets for the most luxurious feel. It's worth spending a little bit of money here for the best quality. Egyptian cotton gets softer with washing and wear, but can fade a bit.


o Pillows - Choose whatever kind of pillows you are most comfortable with, but have lots of them in different shapes and sizes. Not only does this look cozy, it's comfortable too. I like a variety of pillows o foam, synthetic and down to mix it up a bit. Maybe a bolster or two for added texture and comfort.


o Blankets/Comforter - Like the finest hotels, a down or down alternative comforter is luxurious, yet simple. You can find a duvet to add a pop of color, texture and to protect your investment. Choose a year round weight o one that will keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Include a plush or cozy throw in a fabric like chenille or a soft yarn for added comfort on cool nights or to snuggle under while relaxing or reading.


o Candles - Avoid heavily perfumed candles to prevent allergic reactions. A lavender or lavender blend is a perfect choice to help you drift off to sleep.


o Loungewear or robe - You'll want to have some really soft and cozy lounge wear or a great robe to wear during your at-home spa experience.


o Music o Play music that relaxes and de-stresses you with a slow tempo.


In just a few easy steps, you can turn your bathroom or bedroom into a spa environment and have the benefits of a spa in your own home. Enjoy!


http://everythingspa.wordpress.com/


My name is Michele. I am a married mother of one son living in Syracuse, NY. I have decided to start this blog to share my love of spas and everything spa.


I visit spas on average four times a year, usually while on vacation. I prefer destination spas to day spas, mostly because of the amenities. I have found other sites that have spa reviews, but they are not always as comprehensive as I like. So I will aim to post comprehensive views about spas that I visit. If I have visited them long ago, I will provide a recap and a general impression.


If you enjoy spas as much as I do, please share information at my blog! If you like what you see, tell a friend. You can contact me at cnyspagirl@twcny.rr.com.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

No comments:

Post a Comment